Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue

June is the most popular month for weddings. A tradition that was started by the Romans choosing to marry in the month of June to honor Juno, the ancient Roman goddess of marriage.
Just recently, I attended the wedding of a dear family friend. When it came time to buy the wedding gift, I struggled with the tradition of purchasing a gift from the bridal registry. Eliminating the guesswork of what to buy the newlyweds, every bride registers for exactly what she wants or needs.
So what is my dilemma? As I scanned the registry I found many nice gifts, but I knew that back in the antique store I could purchase a similar gift with higher quality and a better price.

Antique stores are the perfect place to find sets of china, silverware, fine linens, crystal, and stemware. I have sold many exceptional sets of china for the price of one place setting from a department store. In addition, I have yet to find linen from a department store that matches the quality of antique linens. The next time you are invited to a bridal shower or June wedding, consider buying a gift from an antique store. I guarantee you will find the perfect wedding present.

I would like to share with you the "perfect" wedding present I found at the
Elk Rapids Antique Warehouse for my friends wedding.



Of course when I found these Tiffany Crystal Candlesticks, I wanted them for myself. I exercised great restraint , knowing the Bride to Be would love them. I added a pair of taper candles from a local candle store, my favorite dinner recipe and the following sentiment on nice card stock all wrapped up in the original tattered Tiffany blue box.

Something Old
-A pair of Tiffany Crystal Candlesticks from an Antique Shop
Something New
-A pair of beeswax taper candles
Something Borrowed
-A favorite recipe for a candlelit dinner
Something Blue
-A woman’s favorite, “Tiffany Blue”

I am happy to tell you the wedding present was a favorite of the newlyweds.

No comments: